Communication is key when presenting treatments to your patients. You want to make sure they have a clear understanding of what the treatment is, why it is important to complete, and how much it will cost them. You also want to give your patients all of the treatment options that are available to them, along with the one you would recommend—that helps them make a choice and also helps build trust.
Another thing to think about is that while all these dental procedures are familiar to you, they can seem like a different language to your patients.
Giving patients a printout of the treatment not only relieves them of trying to remember everything, but that printout can also use patient-friendly descriptions. That way, they can understand what the procedures are, and it is easier for them to discuss the treatment with their spouse or parents.
Use the Treatment Planner to make that happen:
- Present the treatment diagnosed along with different treatment plan options, giving your patient a choice if there are multiple cases.
- Put the treatment in order of what needs to be done first.
- Show the office fee, insurance fee, and the patient’s estimated portion so the patient can easily see what the approximate out-of-pocket will be.
- Use patient-friendly descriptions to help the patient understand what the procedure is and to help the patient explain it to someone else.
- Add in a graphic chart showing what work needs to be done.
With this information printed out, your patients will have all the information they need to make good decisions. Your case acceptance will increase, and so will your relationships with your patients!
If you found these ideas helpful, you may be interested in learning more about the Dentrix Profitability Coaching Program, where these, and many other great concepts, strategies and ideas are taught to you and your team by one of our highly skilled and experienced profitability coaches.
By Irma Loftis, Henry Schein One Practice Consultant