Get insight from the Dentrix Support team to make sure you’re prepared.
As the end of the year approaches, dental offices begin the process of closing their fiscal year in Dentrix. The Dentrix Customer Support team wants to help make that process as easy as possible by providing some helpful advice and tips.
IMPORTANT: If you are using G6.6 or G7, make sure you have installed Hotfix 3 before you close the year.
This article provides information we have found to be helpful in addressing three common questions that frequently arise at this time of the year:
- How do I close out the year? Are there special utilities or processes that I should run?
- What do I do with outstanding insurance claims from the previous year?
- Are there any reports that may be beneficial to run?
1. Closing the Year
Dentrix does not require a special process for closing the year. All you have to do to close the year is to close the last month of the fiscal year. When you close the month (and, consequently, the year), current transactions and clinical notes are moved into history, account balances are aged, and insurance benefits are reset for those plans that need to be reset.
Watch the video to learn how to close the month.
- If you’re using Dentrix G6.5 or higher, click here to learn how to close the month/year with the new Task Scheduler.
- If you’re using G6.4 or any previous versions of Dentrix, click here.
Keep the following in mind as you close the month:
- Create an up-to-the-minute backup of your practice data before you close the month.
- Make sure you have installed all Dentrix hotfixes before you close the year.
- To check for available hotfixes, in the Office Manager, click Help > About Dentrix and click the Check for Updates button
2. Outstanding Insurance Claims
After you close the fiscal year, Dentrix detects all pending claims created during the previous year. When you post payments or adjustments to claims from the previous year, you have the option to apply them to the previous year or the current year. This option appears in the Total Insurance Payment dialog box, and it defaults to the previous year.
3. Year End Reports
The Dentrix Office Manager has several reports that can help you at year end. The following is a list and brief description of some reports that give you helpful year-end information:
- Practice Advisor Report. With this report, you can assess the overall financial health of your practice with month-to-date and year-to-date statistics for collections, continuing care, new patients, production, and schedule management. The Practice Advisor shows you where you have reached or exceeded goals and where improvements need to be made. This report provides statistics for the practice as a whole and for each dentist and hygienist. Taking the recommendations provided in the report, you can use the other year-end reports (described below) to look at details regarding those shortfalls. To run this report, in the Office Manager, from the Analysis menu, click Practice Advisor to open the Practice Advisor dialog box, and then click Practice Advisor Report.
- Analysis Summary Report. This report lists charges, payments, and adjustments. You can use this report to generate totals for a specified date range or daily totals. You can also generate a detailed summary that includes MTD and YTD totals for each provider. To run this report, from the Reports menu, point to Management, and then click Analysis Summary.
- Practice Analysis Report. This report provides statistical data for production, receivables, patients, and financial contracts (payment agreements and future due payment plans). The report lists this data for the current day, month, year, and past three months. You can only generate this report by Entry Date (the date a transaction or procedure was entered into the computer). You can rearrange the columns on this report to suit the needs of your office by clicking Setup > Analysis. To run this report, from the Analysis menu, click Practice. Then from the File menu, click Print Analysis.
- Production Summary Report. This report generates a detailed list showing the total number of times you completed each procedure in the specified date range and the average charge for each procedure. By default, the report groups the procedures by categories, such as Diagnostic, Preventive, and so forth. To run this report, from the Analysis menu, click Practice, and then click the Reports menu.
To generate an unfiltered report, clear all the options under Select Summary Reports except Production Summary.
- Adjustment Summary Report. This report provides detailed information such as the number of times each adjustment type was used and the total amount adjusted off during the selected date range. To run this report, from the Analysis menu, click Practice, and then click the Reports menu.
- Payment Summary Report. This report is similar to the Adjustment Summary Report in that it provides a detailed summary of payments received. These may include Cash Payment, Credit Card Payment, and so forth. To run this report, from the Analysis menu, click Practice, and then click the Reports menu.
- Patient Summary Report. This is a demographic report that shows the total number of current patients. The report data is broken down by gender, age, insured, non-insured, and so forth. To run this report, from the Analysis menu, click Practice, then click the Reports menu.
- Aging Report and an Insurance Aging Report. Many offices also find it useful to print these two reports at the end of each month and year. To run these reports, from the Reports menu, point to Ledger, then click the name of the report.
- Family Ledger Report. Patients often request a printout of their Ledger for the previous year. To print a Family Ledger Report, in Office Manager, from the Reports menu, point to Ledger, and then click Family Ledger Report. Select the guarantor for the desired family. The First Transaction Date should be modified to show the first day of the year (1/1/2013) and the Report Date (at the top) should be the last day of the year (12/31/13). A Family Ledger Report can also be printed directly from the Ledger, but it is not possible to specify a date range there.
Note: These are the same reports that are recommended for month-end. After you run these reports for the last month of your fiscal year, you will run these reports for the entire year (with the exception of the Practice Advisor Report).
Following the recommendations in this article will help simplify the work of closing the year and save you some time to enjoy the holidays. Happy New Year!
If you are using Dentrix G7 or above, see the article called “Schedule Routine Tasks and Reports to Run Automatically” for more information about using the Reports and Task Scheduler in Dentrix.
By Jason Coggins, Dentrix Customer Support Manager
Originally published in Dentrix Magazine, Winter 2013